Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Family favorite. Have this every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Takes a while , but worth the time.
- 1 fryer chickens or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about)
- 3 cans chicken broth
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups meal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 2 cups milk
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- Begin by making cornbread first.
- Preheat oven to 400* In medium cast iron skillet, place a little oil in pan and put on stove eye on medium heat.
- Let oil heat.
- Combine flour, meal, sage, onion, and milk in large mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- When oil is heated in pan, add cornbread mixture.
- Will sizzle a little.
- Place skillet in oven.
- Bake 20-25 min.
- until center is done and top is browned.
- Meanwhile, place chicken in large pot.
- Boil until done.
- Drain and let cool.
- Also place eggs in small pot and boil until hardboiled.
- Let cornbread cool completely, then crumble into large mixing bowl, shred chicken and add to cornbread along with eggs that have been peeled and diced.
- Begin adding chicken broth.
- I usually use 3 whole cans, but you can add more or less, just depending on how moist you want it.
- When everything is mixed together, pout into baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake at 400* for 1-1 1/2 hrs.
- and until top is browned.
This recipe is good except I use poultry seasoning instead of sage.