Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
I love this recipe. I love cornbread and I love anything that's easy to cook. This recipe covers both and to top it off, its yummy!
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 (17 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large skillet and cook onion until soft and translucent. Add chicken, sour cream, thyme, sage, salt, mushrooms and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- Grease a 9x9x2 1/2-inch pan. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine cornmeal, baking powder, salt, flour, milk, egg, corn and cayenne in a medium bowl. Stir until mixed and pour into prepared pan.
- Top with chicken mixture; bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining cheddar cheese. Continue baking for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares.