Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 25 mins
Found this recipe online, putting here for safe keeping as we LOVED it, and I don't want to lose it! :) We did double the rice prep here though, as we wanted more of that. I also think I added more cheese (personal preference). The cooking time can be lowered if using leftover rice and chicken.
- 2⁄3 cup brown rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- ground cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, diced and drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Mix the rice and vegetable broth in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large 9x13" casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in the zucchini, chicken, and mushrooms. Season with cumin, salt, and ground cayenne pepper. Cook and stir until zucchini is lightly browned and chicken is heated through.
- In large bowl, mix the cooked rice, onion, zucchini, chicken, mushrooms, beans, chiles, and 1/2 the cheese. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover casserole loosely with foil, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Uncover, and continue baking 10 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.