24 hrs 45 mins
Marinating overnight helps the already juicy chicken thighs pick up the tang of the vinegar and pepper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 10 large garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1/2-1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup filipino palm vinegar or 1 cup cider vinegar or 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup diced canned tomatoes with their liquid
- 2 bay leaves, broken
- 3 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (about 8)
- 1 pinch brown sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- green onion, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
- 1The day before cooking the chicken, in a large glass bowl combine in it the soy sauce, garlic, black pepper, vinegar, tomatoes and bay leaves. Add the chicken, making sure it is almost completely submerged in the marinade. (An alternate method would be to pour the marinade mixture in a ziplock bag then add the chicken pieces, squeezing out the air). Lightly cover and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours.
- 2When ready to cook, turn the entire mixture into a heavy 4-quart pot. Bring to a gentle bubble, cover and cook 25 minutes or until the center of a chicken thigh is heated to 175 degrees on an instant-reading thermometer.
- 3With tongs, remove the chicken to a plate. Skim as much fat as possible from the cooking liquid and simmer down by half (skimming fat if possible) adding a pinch of sugar and salt, if desired. Meanwhile, coat a 12-inch straight-sided saute pan with the olive oil. Heat over medium-high. Arrange the chicken pieces skin down to brown, adjusting the heat so chicken as not to burn.
- 4When they are a deep rich brown on one side, turn the pieces and scatter the onion around them. Brown, adjust the heat, moving the onions around so pieces don't burn. Then, with a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and onions to a serving bowl. Pour the boiled-down pan juices over them and serve. Garnish the adobo with a scattering of thinly sliced green onions.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Adobo - Filipino Style
Serving Size: 1 (427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 798.1
- Calories from Fat 499
- Total Fat 55.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 286.5 mg
- Sodium 1268.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 62.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: