Recipe by Suzanne S.
This dish is served in Disney World. My favorite soup!
Top Review by MariaLuisa
This delicious, comforting soup was served in the cafeteria at work, and it is one of my favorite soups, too. I don't remember the green pepper, so I left it out. I think it is worth emphasizing that the vegetables should be chopped very fine; I ground them up in my processor. I poached the chicken breasts in the chicken broth first, and then proceeded with the rest of the recipe. I didn't heat the cream first; I just poured it into the hot soup and it was fine. I served this to DH who was suffering from the flu, and it perked him right up. He even asked for it again after he regained his health. Thanks very much.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup finely diced green pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup half-and-half, heated
- white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in large pot and cook vegetables until tender over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add flour; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Do not brown.
- Gradually stir in broth until blended.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook over low heat 5 minutes.
- Add rice and chicken and heat another 5 minutes.
- Stir in hot half and half.
- Heat, but do not boil.
- Season to taste and serve.