Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this yummy recipe from my Aunty Shirley who is a wonderful cook! Preparation time does not include Marination time.
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 1⁄2 cup curds (yoghurt)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- soya sauce
- 1⁄4 cup curry leaf, chopped
- 2 -3 green chilies, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 2 -3 tablespoons ghee or 2 -3 tablespoons oil, to fry
- coriander leaves, chopped to garnish
- Wash the chicken drumsticks and dry them.
- Mix the soup cube, chili powder, cumin powder, ginger garlic paste, turmeric, soya sauce with the curd (Do not add salt).
- Marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours in this mixture.
- Cook the chicken in the marinade till done.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the gravy if any.
- Set aside the gravy (if any).
- Shallow fry the drumsticks till browned in oil or clarified butter (ghee).
- Do this 1 or 2 pieces at a time for them to get a nice colour.
- Keep the chicken pieces aside.
- Now in the same ghee stir fry the chopped curry leaves and green chillies till crisp.
- Add the chicken and stir fry.
- Add the reserved gravy (if any).
- Add tomato ketchup according to taste to coat the chicken pieces.
- Cook till there is no liquid left and the chicken is coated with the sauce but dry.
- Garnish with the coriander leaves.
This is fairly simple and has a good flavor! Thank you!
This recipe has been sitting in my cookbook for ages now, and I finally made it. We weren't disappointed. I opted to use thighs as well, just easier for us. I used fresh garlic but stuck with the ginger paste. Nice dry chicken dish to go with a more liquid veg dish. Thanks!
This is a great recipe. My husband loves it and he is a real picky eater. What I did was instead of drumsticks I used all pieces of the chicken. I didn't have soya sauce around so I used about 6 drops of Worchesire Sace instead. I added onions in the begining and added the curry leaves with that and fried until onions were golden brown, then I added the chicken in with the marinade. I did not add ketchup at all. I added a few jalapeno peppers sliced, and some crushed red pepper flakes. In the end I did not fry the chicken, but you could do that in the beginning without marinade and then add marinade to make it easy. I also added a juice of one lime and garnished with thinly sliced onions and cilantro! Thanks! Love the recipe