Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great way to recycle leftover meat. A thrifty variation on city chicken, this dish might or might not actually contain chicken. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Delicious with Vegetable Puffs(Vegetable Puffs). Cooking time approximate.
- Melt butter; blend in flour salt and pepper.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, then cook about a minute longer.
- Add the meat to the white sauce followed by the seasonings and bell pepper.
- Spread on a plate to cool.
- Shape like chicken legs and insert a wooden skewer.
- Roll in crumbs, egg, then crumbs again.
- Fry in deep hot fat (380F) and drain on paper towels.