A warming chestnut and bacon soup that's so easy to make and freeze ahead - perfect for a Christmas or winter supper. This soup is also freezable.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 -6 slices smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 7 ounces vacuum-packed chestnuts
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices streaky bacon
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1Heat the oil in a large pan,add the onion, bacon, celery and carrots and cook over a medium heat for about 7-10 mins, stirring occasionally until vegetables have softened.
- 2Pour 1 litre (1¾ pints) water into the pan and add the chestnuts, stockcubes and thyme.
- 3Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover the pan. Simmer gently for about 20-30 minutes,until the vegetables are tender.
- 4Remove the pan from the heat and purée the soup in a liquidiser or food processor, or use a stick blender.
- 5Add seasoning to taste. Leave to cool, then pour it into a freezer container, cover and label. Will freeze for up to 3 months.
- 6To serve: Allow the soup to defrost overnight, then bring to the boil before serving.
- 7Cut the rashers of bacon into strips and cook them in a hot frying pan until crisp and place on top of the soup, with a couple of small sprigs of thyme. Sprinkle some freshly ground black pepper over.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chestnut and Bacon Soup (Oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.3
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 16.5 mg
- Sodium 310.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable stock cubes