Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe came from a cookbook called Lucy Waverman's Seasonal Canadian Cookbook. It is wonderful served over ice cream!
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons kirsch or 2 teaspoons cherry brandy (optional)
- Combine ½ cup sugar with the water in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the cherries and simmer for 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove half the cherries and reserve.
- Place the remaining cherries and liquid in a food processor or blender.
- Return the puree to the pot.
- Combine 2 tbsp puree with the cornstarch.
- Stir into the remaining puree and bring to a boil.
- Add the remaining whole cherries and kirsch.
I may have to run to town for more cherries so that I can make more of this with the season's best. This is sooo good, especially barely warm over vanilla ice cream. I'll bet it could be used in any recipe calling for cherry pie filling with the addition of maybe 1/2T more of cornstarch. I skipped the kirsch and added 2 drops of almond extract.