Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cherry Pie is one of my favorites. I like to use this recipe when I have canned sour cherries. The frozen pie shell is a huge timesaver. However, feel free to use your favorite pie crust recipe by all means. This pie is lower in calories and fat than some other cherry pie recipes so you can enjoy your holiday dessert even more.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Drain the cherries and pour the liquid into a saucepan.
- Add the cornstarch, sugar and salt and mix well.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and clear, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cherries, lemon juice and almond extract.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Fill one frozen pie shell with the cherry mixture.
- Cover with the other pie shell and allow to thaw for about 20 minutes, or until soft enough to crimp the edges without breaking.
- Note: I do like to use about 1 T half-and-half or milk in a cup and brush on the top of the pie crust and then sprinkle with a little bit of sugar.
- Bake the pie for 10 minutes; reduce temperature to 375 and bake for about 30-35 minutes more or until the crust is golden brown.
- Cover the edges of the crust with foil to prevent excessive browning.