1/1 Photo of Cherry Kuchen (Pronounced Ku-Kah by My Family)
1 hr 10 mins
Old family recipe for a coffee cake with fruit topping from a region in Russia where a community of Germans lived. This is my father's version of the recipe which is almost sugar-free. Very good served warm with vanilla bean frozen yogurt or ice cream.
My Private Note
9x9 inc ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup water (105-115 degrees)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cardamom powder
- 1Add water to beaten eggs and dissolve dry yeast in this mixture. Let all these ingredients rest refrigerated for 15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, blend with a pastry blender or by hand flour, salt, sugar, butter and cardamom.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, make a ring of blended flour. Pour chilled yeast mixture into the center and work it into dry ingredients. Knead until smooth, about 2 minutes. Form dough into ball and let rest, covered for about 20 minutes.
- 4Roll out dough into 2 9x9 baking dishes. Push edges of dough up against dish to prevent fruit topping from spilling.
- 5For topping, spread cherries over top of dough. With a pasty blender or fork, cut butter into flour and sugar until small crumbs of mixture are formed. Sprinkle crumb mixture over top of cherries.
- 6Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until topping begins to golden.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Kuchen (Pronounced Ku-Kah by My Family)
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.8
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 65.7 mg
- Sodium 291.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 7.6 g