Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This simple ice makes the most of summers ripe cherries. For great color, use Black Cherries. The 4 hrs cook time is freezing time without an ice cream maker. Don't expect a hard freeze for this ice, it will remain in a semi-hard frozen state. It's delicious as it is :D
- In small saucepan bring sugar and 1/3 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove fron heat and let cool.
- Pit cherries: puree in blender and strain through a fine sieve, disgarding solids.
- Mix in sugar syrup, Kirsh and lemon.
- Freeze according to you ice cream makers instructions OR pour into a cake pan and freeze to almost solid, then break up and puree in food processor. Scrape airtight container and freeze until firm).
Fantastic deep cherry flavor! I did make one batch as written, and another batch with dried tart (but sweetened) cherries. For the dried cherry batch I used almond extract instead of the kirsch. I liked both. The fresh cherry batch appealed more to the adults, the dried sweetened cherry batch appealed more to the kids. I took the leftovers from each and combined them. Yum. This didn't freeze completely for me, either, though it was in a very cold deep-freezer for over four hours. I might make a batch of vanilla ice cream and swirl this together with the vanilla, next. Thanks, Annacia!
The flavor of this was absolutely a revelation!!! I just expected some sno-cone like cherry slush, but the texture of this was really creamy, and the FLAVOR? It's cherry, but not like any artificial cherry. The cherry tastes so "real-cherry" and the flavor just explodes and the palate. WOW! I had let this sit in the freezer longer than I had intended, so it basically froze inside a plastic bowl. I just ran some hot water around the sides (the way one would loosen a jello mold) and cut it into chunks and pulsed in the food processor. I had to be careful, though, because it had not frozen into something with ice crystals throughout and was almost soft enough to eat right out of the freezer container. We loved this!!! Thank you.