Kirazli Dondurma - Cherry Ice
photo by mianbao
- Ready In:
- Puree the pitted cherries in a food processor. Add red food colouring if cherry puree is not dark.
- Combine water and sugar and sitr until sugar is dissovled. Add 2 tsp lemon juice and birng to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes skimming when necessary.
- Remove from heat and let stand until cool.
- Combine the cherry puree with cooled syrup, lemon juce and milk. Chill overnight.
- Next day pour into an ice cream maker and churn (follow instructions for sorbet).
- Pour into a freezer container and place in freezer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I tried to make this, I really did, but I'm not so sure what I should write. The bing cherries I had were not superlative, but were pretty good, eaten as is. I really love cherries, so wanted to try this recipe to showcase them. However, the processed raw cherries turned an unpleasant brown color, so I had to use the suggested food color - quite a lot of it. Then, with the present hot weather, my canister type ice cream maker was not able to freeze the mixture (not, of course the problem of the recipe). So, I froze the mixture and then whirled it in my food processor. It is understandably not so smooth as ice cream. But the flavor also is failing to wow me. Maybe because the cherries were not as flavorful as they should have been. Maybe because, in the end, I prefer my cherries straight. I don't know. It was an interesting experiment, though, and I would like to know more about Turkish food. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. I'm not posting any stars.