Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great for breakfast or brunch!
Make and share this Cherry Crumb Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons butter or 3 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts, use your favorite
- In mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients except pie filling. Beat well.
- Spread half of the batter in a greased 13 x 9" baking pan. Spread cherry pie filling over batter. Cover with remaining batter.
- For topping: combine all ingredients except.
- butter and nuts in a small mixing bowl. Cut in butter. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle topping over batter.
- Bake at 350º about 45 minutes until cake springs back when lightly pressed with finger.
I made this yesterday. I made it in a 13 X 9 pan instead of the 2 cake pans because I had a chocolate cake baking in those. LOL This cake is absolutely delicious, very moist. I just had a piece right now. The topping is wonderful although I did not follow the topping recipe to the T, I just winged it. 3 teas of margarine for the topping did not seem like enough, I added at least 3 Tbls. My cherry pie filling seemed to weigh down the bottom layer so all the filling was very low in the cake leaving most of the cake on the top. Now this was good enough to not even have any fruit in it but maybe next time I will just pour all the batter in and then top it with the cherries. I also did not taste any of the almond extract so I am not sure I will put that in next time. 1/4 teas is not enough to really flavor a cake this size.
If you are an eater of raw batter, this for you. It is delicious. Once baked it is delicious too. I used 2 8 inch pans.
I've been making this coffee cake recipe for over 25 years. I know it as 'Chef Tell's Coffee Cake International'. The ingredients are identical with this recipe. Chef Tell's recipe calls for two 8" round cake pans. The batter is divided between the 2 pans, the cherry pie filling is divided and put on top of the batter and then the streusel topping is divided and put on top of the cherries. I love this recipe because it makes 2 coffee cakes. I can keep one and then give the other away. The sour cream makes the cake so tender.