Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This is an appetizer I made for Mother's Day this year. I used as a base, the cashew cream recipe from Color Me Vegan, and then added some extra garlic and nutritional yeast to give it a bit more cheezy artichoke dip flavor. prep. time includes the time it takes to soak the raw cashews overnight.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional oil for brushing
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon miso (white or yellow)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can artichokes, chopped
- 1 baguette, sliced
- fresh chives, minced, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the cashews overnight in just enough water to completely cover them. The next day, drain and rinse the cashews, then set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan, sauté the onions in the 1 tablespoon of oil until translucent and tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place the soaked cashews, sautéed onions, miso, lemon juice, minced garlic and water into a blender and process until smooth.
- Mix in the chopped artichokes, and nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, to taste.
- In the meantime, preheat broilier to high.
- Brush the baguette slices with a light layer of olive oil and broil for 2-4 minutes, watching closely to not burn.
- Top each toasted slice with 1 tbsp of the cheezy artichoke spread then sprinkle with chives.