Recipe by Hippie2MARS
This started out as a "Ritz Cracker Chicken" recipe I got from Facebook, but as often happens to me, it turned into something a bit different. Regardless of it's inauspicous start, this turned out FANTASTIC and it will be one of my staples for the dinner rotation.
- 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups Cheez-It crackers
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 0.5 (7/8 ounce) envelope Good Seasons garlic and herb seasoning mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken and mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon college inn culinary broth, White Wine & Herbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken breasts into halves or thirds, depending on their size.
- Whisk the eggs and half & half together and pour into a large flat bowl or pan.
- Combine the Cheez-it crackers and salad dressing mix in a food processor and process until the crackers are reduced to fine crumbs, then pour into a separate dish.
- Pour the shredded cheese into a third dish.
- Dip each chicken piece in the milk mixture, then in the cheese (you will have to press the cheese onto the chicken), then in the cracker crumbs.
- As each piece is coated, arrange it into a baking dish (one with a rack is ideal).
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until tops are nicely browned.
- Meanwhile, saute mushrooms in 2 T of the butter over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the soup, sour cream, broth and remaining 2 T of butter and heat through.
- To serve, ladle the sauce over the chicken pieces (the sauce is fantastic on rice or mashed potatoes too).