Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My favorite soup recipe ever! My mom got this out of Country Woman magazine years ago, and I still beg her to make it for me now that I'm grown with two kids. It is simply delicious.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded or chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender.
- Add water, vegetables and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in the flour, paprika and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add to soup and heat through.
That was great. I cut out some fat by using skim milk and fat free half and half, but then I counter acted it by added extra cheese. Oh well, you only live once. This recipe was really easy and very yummy. I will definitely make this again. Reviewed for PAC 2009.
Really enjoyed this soup. Wonderful taste, and It was very hearty. Thanks for posting!