Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a recipe that I make to serve to guests, but I have made it many times for my family, just a little time consuming , but not at all difficult to make. If you have never worked with phyllo pastry, this recipe is definitely reason to try. Just make certain to keep the pastry covered so it will not dry out. This dish is delicious served with potatoes and a mixed green salad.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut up
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 16 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/8-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat sauté spinach and onion for 3-4 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese until blended.
- Add in the mozzarella cheese and the next 6 ingredients; stir to combine.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the spinach mixture on the center of each chicken breast, and roll up jellyroll fashion.
- Unfold the phyllo sheets on a lightly floured surface.
- Stack 2 phyllo sheets, brushing with melted butter between sheets (keep the remaining phyllo sheets covered with plastic to prevent drying out).
- Place 1 chicken roll on short side of the phyllo stack and gently roll up, folding in long side.
- Repeat procedure with remaining pastry, melted butter and chicken.
- Place the rolls in a greased shallow baking dish/pan, and brush the chicken rolls with melted butter.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 35-40 minutes, or until done.