This is a recipe that I make to serve to guests, but I have made it many times for my family, just a little time consuming , but not at all difficult to make. If you have never worked with phyllo pastry, this recipe is definitely reason to try. Just make certain to keep the pastry covered so it will not dry out. This dish is delicious served with potatoes and a mixed green salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut up
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 16 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- melted butter
- 1Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/8-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- 2Sprinkle with salt and pepper; set aside.
- 3In a large skillet over medium-high heat sauté spinach and onion for 3-4 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- 4Remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese until blended.
- 5Add in the mozzarella cheese and the next 6 ingredients; stir to combine.
- 6Spoon 1/4 cup of the spinach mixture on the center of each chicken breast, and roll up jellyroll fashion.
- 7Unfold the phyllo sheets on a lightly floured surface.
- 8Stack 2 phyllo sheets, brushing with melted butter between sheets (keep the remaining phyllo sheets covered with plastic to prevent drying out).
- 9Place 1 chicken roll on short side of the phyllo stack and gently roll up, folding in long side.
- 10Repeat procedure with remaining pastry, melted butter and chicken.
- 11Place the rolls in a greased shallow baking dish/pan, and brush the chicken rolls with melted butter.
- 12Bake in a 350° oven for 35-40 minutes, or until done.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Stuffed Chicken in Phyllo
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.0
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 134.4 mg
- Sodium 552.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 38.2 g