1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 5 mins
~*Miss Diggy*~'s Note:
This recipe comes from a Lower Your Cholesterol cookbook that I got at the store. It suggests to make it with an Oil Pastry, which I have also posted here. I hope you enjoy this recipe! Per serving the exchanges are 0.5 starch, 0.5 carb, 1.5 very lean meat, 1.5 fat. Also Carb choices 1.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup shredded gruyere or 3/4 cup swiss cheese, divided
- 2 1/2 cups refrigerated egg substitute or 10 eggs
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup half & half light cream or 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Oil Pastry:.
- 2In medium bowl mix together the flour and salt.
- 3Add in the oil and milk and then mix lightly all together with a fork.
- 4Shape into a ball.
- 6Place the Oil Pastry on a floured surface, and roll into a 12 inch circle.
- 7Then place the pastry into a 9-inch pie plate, careful to not stretch it. A tip of how to do this is once you have rolled it out on the floured surface, roll it around the rolling pin and then unroll over the pie plate.
- 8If needed, trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the pie plate, and then crimp the edges of it after folding them under.
- 9Line the pastry with foil and then bake at 450* for 8 minutes.
- 10Remove from oven and then remove the foil.
- 11Put back into the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- 12Cool on wire rack, and reduce the temperature on the oven to 350*.
- 13Mix egg, spinach, half-and-half, thyme, pepper and all but 2 tbsp of the cheese together.
- 14Pour into the oil pastry.
- 15Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- 16Take quiche out, sprinkle with remaining cheese, cover with foil, and bake for another 10 minutes, or until you can insert a knife and then it comes out clean.
- 17Cool on a wire rack before serving for about 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Spinach Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.3
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 14.1 mg
- Sodium 206.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 12.2 g