Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This recipe comes from a Lower Your Cholesterol cookbook that I got at the store. It suggests to make it with an Oil Pastry, which I have also posted here. I hope you enjoy this recipe! Per serving the exchanges are 0.5 starch, 0.5 carb, 1.5 very lean meat, 1.5 fat. Also Carb choices 1.
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded gruyere or 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups refrigerated egg substitute or 10 eggs
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup half & half light cream or 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Oil Pastry:.
- In medium bowl mix together the flour and salt.
- Add in the oil and milk and then mix lightly all together with a fork.
- Shape into a ball.
- Place the Oil Pastry on a floured surface, and roll into a 12 inch circle.
- Then place the pastry into a 9-inch pie plate, careful to not stretch it. A tip of how to do this is once you have rolled it out on the floured surface, roll it around the rolling pin and then unroll over the pie plate.
- If needed, trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the pie plate, and then crimp the edges of it after folding them under.
- Line the pastry with foil and then bake at 450* for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and then remove the foil.
- Put back into the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack, and reduce the temperature on the oven to 350*.
- Mix egg, spinach, half-and-half, thyme, pepper and all but 2 tbsp of the cheese together.
- Pour into the oil pastry.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Take quiche out, sprinkle with remaining cheese, cover with foil, and bake for another 10 minutes, or until you can insert a knife and then it comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving for about 10 minutes.