Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I saw Sunny Andersen make this on Cooking for Real yesterday and WOW did it look fabulous. She suggests serving it for holiday meals, but it would be great anytime! You could use this as a side dish or as a great vegetarian main dish.
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus extra for casserole dish
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushrooms or 1⁄2 lb baby bella mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar-monterey cheese
- 3 cups cooked rice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Butter a 1 1/8-quart oval casserole dish.
- In a large pot, melt 3 tablespoons butter and flour over medium heat until golden in color to make a quick roux. The roux should resemble the color of peanut butter.
- Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, heavy cream and chicken stock.
- Add broccoli, 1 cup of the cheese and rice; stir. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour into buttered dish and top with remaining shredded Cheddar. Bake until cheese is melted and golden, about 20 minutes.