Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a quick recipe that my son and husband both love. Super dish for cookouts and easy to carry or travel with. This is super with hamburgers and pork chops!
- 2 lbs hash brown potatoes (in refrigerator section at grocery store)
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 dish with oil.
- Set aside 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients and put into baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how golden and bubbly you like your cheese.
I added seasoning salt and about 7-8 pieces of crumbled, cooked bacon. Good with jalapenos as well.
I too was looking for a hashbrown casserole recipe that didn't have sour cream as an ingredient because I had none on hand! I almost left the 1/2 cup of onion out of the recipe, for my children's preference, and am glad that I didn't. I think the onion really adds a great flavor dimension to the potatoes and with them being so finely chopped-- my kids didn't even notice they were in the recipe! The only change I made was to put all three cups of sharp cheddar into the mix and then sprinkled the canned parmesan cheese on top for baking. I like how the parmesan cheese adds a crust on top of the potatoes, after they have been cooked. Thanks so much for a keeper. :-)
Quick, easy, DELICIOUS!!! I cut the recipe in half, put in as 8 X 8 pamed baking dish. I WILL make this again.