Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe was born out of a need to use some leftover ham. I found a recipe sort of similiar on allrecipes, made it and was sorely disapointed, so I decided to make up my own. Perfect for a chilly day, served with a crusty bread. WARNING: This soup smells amazing while cooking, you will have a hard time waiting to eat it!
- 3 lbs potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb ham, cubed
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter (cut into small tsp size pieces)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (unsalted)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Sautee celery, onion, ham, potatoes, salt, pepper, and butter in a large stock pot over medium heat until butter melts and celery and onions become slighlty tender. (stir constantly).
- Whisk milk, cream, and flour together.
- Add milk mixture, chicken stock, parsley, and celery salt, stirring occasionally.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 45 min-1 hours (all veggies should be very tender).
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Serve and Enjoy!