1/8 Photos of Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
Comfort soup at its finest! I usually make this to use up leftover ham. This is easy to adapt with other ingredients. I don't put celery in mine. I have added garlic sometimes as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced (I keep mine with the peel)
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 -2 cup ham, diced and cooked
- 3 1/4 cups water or 3 1/4 cups chicken broth or 3 1/4 cups ham stock
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules (omit if using chicken broth)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Combine potatoes, celery, onion, ham, and water/broth in stockpot and bring to boil.
- 2Then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender.
- 3Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt (if using), and pepper.
- 4In separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook stirring constantly until thick.
- 5Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form and all milk is added. Continue to stir until thick (4-5 minutes).
- 6Add in cheese and stir until melted.
- 7Stir the cheese mixture into the stockpot and cook until heated through. (I also will break up some of the potatoes for thickness. It gets thicker as it cools and next day).
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.1
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 66.5 mg
- Sodium 912.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 15.3 g