1/7 Photos of Cheesy Garlic Scalloped Potatoes
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
They are rich, but oh so good! You can vary the cheeses according to taste and add onions, too. I originally got the recipe from AllRecipes, but I have altered a couple of things that helped the recipe we believe. It is a family favorite!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, thinly sliced (I use my KitchenAid slicer attachment to make thin. SaladShooter or mandolin works well, too, as lon)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pint heavy cream (or to make it lighter I have made with 2 cups milk and 2 T. cornstarch heated until thicker)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 2Grease a 1 1/2 quart or larger casserole dish with butter or nonstick spray.
- 3Layer half of the potato slices in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- 4Dot with half of the butter cut or pinched into small pieces.
- 5Arrange half of the garlic slices over the potatoes, then pour half of the heavy cream over.
- 6Sprinkle one cup of Cheddar cheese over the layer, and season with salt and pepper. Repeat layering of potatoes, butter, garlic, cream and Cheddar cheese, then top with the slices of provolone cheese.
- 7Season again with salt and pepper. Cover with foil that the underside has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- 8Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, then sprinkle the Parmesan or Romano cheese over the top.
- 9This will create a semi-hard cheese crust. Continue baking uncovered for another 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender when tested with a fork.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Garlic Scalloped Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 649.7
- Calories from Fat 478
- Total Fat 53.1 g
- Saturated Fat 33.3 g
- Cholesterol 178.6 mg
- Sodium 595.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 21.3 g