Cook1 hr 30 mins
They are rich, but oh so good! You can vary the cheeses according to taste and add onions, too. I originally got the recipe from AllRecipes, but I have altered a couple of things that helped the recipe we believe. It is a family favorite!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, thinly sliced (I use my KitchenAid slicer attachment to make thin. SaladShooter or mandolin works well, too, as lon)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pint heavy cream (or to make it lighter I have made with 2 cups milk and 2 T. cornstarch heated until thicker)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Grease a 1 1/2 quart or larger casserole dish with butter or nonstick spray.
- Layer half of the potato slices in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Dot with half of the butter cut or pinched into small pieces.
- Arrange half of the garlic slices over the potatoes, then pour half of the heavy cream over.
- Sprinkle one cup of Cheddar cheese over the layer, and season with salt and pepper. Repeat layering of potatoes, butter, garlic, cream and Cheddar cheese, then top with the slices of provolone cheese.
- Season again with salt and pepper. Cover with foil that the underside has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, then sprinkle the Parmesan or Romano cheese over the top.
- This will create a semi-hard cheese crust. Continue baking uncovered for another 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender when tested with a fork.
I made this on Christmas eve. My son is a very picky eater and he loved it. So did my husband. Very yummy!
Followed the recipe exactly and it was so good. The only thing I would do different next time is use a little less butter, there was a bit too much sitting on top of the dish when I took it out of the oven; after removing excess it was perfect. Thanks for sharing!
Delicious. Big hit at our home. Didn't change a thing and it turned out perfectly. Thank you !!