Recipe by PanNan
This recipe is based on the recipe provided in the first South Beach Diet book. I modified it to suit our tastes. It's appropriate for any phase of the diet.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
I make several different breakfast frittata's and this one is different (in a good way) & tasty. I increased the bacon abit & used olive oil for the margarine. Threw in some green onions, jalapeno & a couple sliced fresh mushrooms. I cut back the tomatoes and glad I did because I think it would have overpowered the flavours for us otherwise. Nice change to our normal breakfast recipes, thanks for sharing.
- 2 slices turkey bacon
- 2 teaspoons margarine spread (like Smart Balance)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced zucchini
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 ounce lowfat mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook turkey bacon per directions on package until crisp. Set aside. Crumble when cool.
- Coat an ovenproof 10" skillet with cooking spray. Melt the spread in the skillet. Add the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini, and saute over medium-low heat until the vegetables are tender, 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, and black pepper to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook until the flavors are blended, 2 - 3 minutes, and remove from the heat.
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a blender, combine the egg substitute, cottage cheese, and milk and process until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and return to the heat source. Sprinkle the crumbled turkey bacon over the top. Cover and cook on medium-low heat until the bottom is set and the top is still slightly wet.
- Transfer the skillet to the broiler and broil until the top is set - 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and broil until the cheese melts.
- Serve while hot.