Cook1 hr 30 mins
A rich hearty soup great for left over holiday ham. I use the bone from the ham to make the stock. DS said it was the best soup he ever had!
- Boil ham bone in 4 cups of water in large COVERED stock pot for approx 1 hour. (If omitting this step use 4 chicken bouillon or 4 cups chicken broth instead).
- Remove ham bone and strain stock to remove any debris.
- Boil the 2 med potatoes halved in stock until softened, remove to separate bowl.
- Combine 2 1/4 cups diced potatoes, 1 med onion, DICED HAM, and 3 minced garlic cloves and add to stock. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Mash 2 halved potatoes with small amount of milk and add to stock (helps to thicken).
- In separate pan, melt butter. Add in flour a tablespoon at a time to make a roux or paste. Add milk and blend well to make a cream sauce.
- Simmer cream sauce for 2 minutes. Add cheese and blend well. Mixture will be very gooey.
- Add cheese blend to soup and gently mix to combine.