Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
- Ready In:
- 8 medium potatoes, washed,peeled and cubed
- 1 lb smoked ham, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 -2 teaspoon cavender all purpose Greek seasoning (to your taste preference)
- salt and pepper
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Place potatoes in a large stock pot.
- Cover potatoes just to top with water.
- Add ham, onion, greek seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cover with lid.
- Cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add butter.
- Remove from heat and add cream.
- (Tip: To make soup thicker, mash some of the potatoes with fork or masher) This soup will be thicker the next day, if any is left!
Join The Conversation
I have made this twice now- the first time I followed word for word- and it was fabulous! My husband wanted me to make it again, and this time I didn't have c ram, so I subbed 1.5 cup milk and .5 cup butter as suggested in the forums. I also added a head of broccoli, finely chopped, and I mashed it more than I did the first time... Oh my goodness did it turn out amazing! We put shredded cheese on top, and it was like loaded mashed potatoes, but more flavorful! This will be a regular!
This was wonderful! I used my leftover (spiral sliced, honey baked)ham from Christmas dinner and it was perfect for a cold winter night's dinner. I also did not have any Greek seasoning so I substituted Cajun seasoning and lots of pepper (we like our food a little spicy). I also mashed the potatoes a little with a masher before adding the cream although I left it with a "lumpy" texture. I also added a cup of canned corn (drained). I think next time I might add some leeks or celery as well. Thanks so much for the recipe.