Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
For onion lovers! If desired you can sprinkle the top of the onions with breadcrumbs mixed with melted butter.
- 4 medium yellow onions, cut in half and then into thin slices (can use 5 onions)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste, or use white salt)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a 1-1/2-quart baking dish.
- Place the sliced onions in the casserole dish.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in flour and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add in half and half cream; whisking constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add in the Parmesan cheese and Velveeta cheese, stirring until melted.
- Season with cayenne pepper and seasoning salt.
- Pour the sauce over the onions in the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes.