Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is an alteration from "Mimi's Cafe Corn Chowder". A family favorite on cold days. It is very rich and not for those watching their waistline! But OH SO worth a cheat!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 6 pieces bacon, cooked to very crispy, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- On medium heat, melt butter and simmer onion and celery until soft, but not brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add water, potato, corn and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- or until potatoes are barely tender.
- Whisk flour into 1 cup of half-n-half and stir into soup.
- Let thicken.
- Add remaining half-n-half.
- REDUCE HEAT to Low.
- Stir in cheese, parsley, and crumbled bacon until cheese is melted.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- ,stirring on occasion until the soup has thickened to a creamy consistency.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste as needed.
- Simmer additional 5 to 10 minute.
- Serve Hot.
Yumzezez! We will enjoy this again soon. Thank you.
Thick, rich and creamy! This is incredible comfort food. The cheese is a nice touch. Only draw back I found is recipie calls for 2 tablespoons of salt, and that was WAY too much for me, especially when the bacon contains alot of salt as well. I used 2 teaspoons salt instead. Canned sweet corn seemed to taste much better than frozen corn too. Overall delicious chowder!