the 4 wheelers's Note:
Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. This is a casserole I came up with when I wanted to make a mac and cheese but didnt want the same ole same ole and I wanted to use what I had in the house and what was left over in my pantry before grocery day... I love when I can cook right out of our garden :) This is really yummy as is or if you are like me you might top it with ketchup *gasp * I know I know, but there is nothing like comfort food with a little ketchup drizzled all over the top :) my husband thinks I'm crazy and he loves it as is no ketchup allowed :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups raw zucchini
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped (or minced)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 pinch celery seed
- italian seasoning
- extra virgin olive oil (enough to cover the bottom of a lg saute pan)
- 1 1/4 lbs very lean hamburger
- 1 (12 ounce) box rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, divided
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 -4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups milk (I normally just eye ball the roux sauce)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Reynolds Wrap Foil (I like the heavy duty kind)
- 11. preheat oven to 400d.
- 22. In a Large saute pan, add enough EVOO to cover bottom of pan.
- 33. Add onion, rosemary, red bell pepper and zucchini sauteing until most of water is cooked out of the zucchini and onions just start to caramelize,.
- 44. Then add in garlic, marjoram, celery seed, salt,pepper, & Italian seasoning. saute until garlic and onions are a nice caramel color.
- 55. Add defrosted brick of beef and brown mixing through veggies until there is no more pink -- (if you use very lean beef like we do there will be no fat to drain -- if you do however end up with some fat now would be the time to drain the beef).
- 66. Then add in sour cream, cream cheese, Monterrey jack cheese, and sun dried tomatoes and half of the chili powder mixing well until cheese is melted and everything is mixed through.
- 77. In a separate sauce pan melt butter and add flour making a roux sauce(making sure the flour is dissolved in the butter before adding milk) adding in milk slowly little bits at a time while whisking and never stopping until milk has been added and there are no more clumps.
- 88. Then add in 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese mixing well until almost melted then add in parsley.
- 99. Add in cooked rigatoni mixing well until pasta is coated then add feta cheese and meat mixture mixing well.
- 1010. Place mixture in a Reynolds wrap lined baking dish shiny side up.
- 1111. Sprinkle the top of casserole with left over mozzarella cheese then top and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon left over chili powder and Italian seasoning to taste.
- 1212. Place in oven and let bake until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Beef and Veggie Comfort Casserole #RSC
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 542.5
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 140.8 mg
- Sodium 445.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 32.4 g