Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Since our RV has a microwave, we make use of it whenever we can. This is always a favourite with our family. The amount of potatoes seems alot but I find that when camping, people's appitites increase; at least my families' does. NB I have editid this to correct the "water" issue from the first review.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 12 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices crumbed bacon
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (old preferred)
- In a 1-1/2 quart casserole, combine butter or marg, hot water and chopped onion.
- Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Microwave covered in 5 minute intervals stirring between each until cooked (25- 30 minutes).
- When tender, stir in milk/cream, bacon and cheese until smooth.
- *Potatoes can be peeled or not, depending on whether the potatoes are new or old.
- Use new, red potatoes.
- Substitute italian salad dressing for the butter.
- Use green onions and add at them at the end for one minutes.
- Omit the milk, bacon and cheese.
- Kind of a warm potato salad.
- Thanks Kasha for pointing out the disappearing water. I added it back in with the potatoes and butter. "Bad water - get back in the bowl.".
I made this for a "Pick your chef". This would be a five star, but the directions need some clarification. There is hot water in the list of ingredients that disappears in the directions. I think it must go in in the beginning with the margarine or potatoes. I admit I didn't microwave because I wasn't too sure about the water, but cooked the potatoes and onion on the stove, then finished the recipe from there after they were cooked. It was rich and very tasty. Perfect cold weather food. I halved the recipe and have a lot left over, so I hope it reheats well, I think it should. DH was very happy to find cheese and bacon both in a potato dish.