Recipe by Lennie
Posted in response to a request; I haven't tried it and it looks a little fussy, but I'm sure it will taste delicious.
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 small white onion, chopped coarse (weighing about 4 oz)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄8 lb mushroom, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 gallon low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup pinot grigio wine, or any other dry white wine
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, chopped in bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3⁄4 lb provolone cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- water, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, heavy stock pot, melt butter over low heat.
- Add onion, beans, potatoes and mushrooms and stir fry for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and wine to stock pot and stir, then stir in the asparagus and herbs and spices, including garlic; turn heat up to medium or medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Boil, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender; turn down heat.
- Stir in milk, then cream cheese, then shredded cheeses; slowly heat, stirring continuously, to dissolve cheese.
- Keep at a simmer but DO NOT allow soup to come to a rolling boil.
- When all cheese has dissolved, remove from heat and fish out the bay leaf and discard.
- Whisk in water as needed to yield exactly 4 quarts.
- Taste; more salt may be necessary.
- Serve immediately, or reheat very gently to serve.