Recipe by mollypaul
A handsome bread that smells and tastes divinely of cheese. From an old newspaper clipping I've had for years.
Top Review by Chef Mackerrr
This bread was GREAT! Everything turned out very well. The only recommendation I have is to put more cheese in the dough, I could mostly taste the cheese on the top. It was my first time making homemade bread and it was pretty easy. :)
- 6 -7 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 6 eggs (room temperature)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl.
- Combine yogurt, 1/2 cup water and butter in a saucepan; heat over low heat until warm.
- Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat for two minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon beaten egg for topping; add remaining eggs, 1 cup flour and 1 1/2 cups cheese.
- Beat on high for two minutes.
- Stir in enough additional flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about ten minutes.
- Put in a greased bowl, turning to grease top of dough; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about an hour).
- Punch down; divide dough in half.
- Divide each half into three pieces and shape each piece into a 12" rope.
- Braid the three ropes together and pinch ends together to seal; repeat with the second loaf.
- Place loaves into a greased 9 x 5" loaf pan, cover and let rise until doubled.
- Combine reserved egg and milk; brush over loaves.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.