2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
A handsome bread that smells and tastes divinely of cheese. From an old newspaper clipping I've had for years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl.
- 2Combine yogurt, 1/2 cup water and butter in a saucepan; heat over low heat until warm.
- 3Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat for two minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 4Reserve 1 tablespoon beaten egg for topping; add remaining eggs, 1 cup flour and 1 1/2 cups cheese.
- 5Beat on high for two minutes.
- 6Stir in enough additional flour to make a stiff dough.
- 7Turn out on lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about ten minutes.
- 8Put in a greased bowl, turning to grease top of dough; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about an hour).
- 9Punch down; divide dough in half.
- 10Divide each half into three pieces and shape each piece into a 12" rope.
- 11Braid the three ropes together and pinch ends together to seal; repeat with the second loaf.
- 12Place loaves into a greased 9 x 5" loaf pan, cover and let rise until doubled.
- 13Combine reserved egg and milk; brush over loaves.
- 14Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 15Bake in a preheated 375F oven 30 minutes or until done.
- 16Remove from pans and cool on racks.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Braided Bread
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.6
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 66.7 mg
- Sodium 379.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 7.7 g