Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Old Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast, Salt Spring Island, British Columbia. Owner Gerti Fuss notes that these blintzes can be made ahead of time and heated just before serving. Put the filled blintzes on a baking sheet and freeze until firm, about 1 hour, then wrap the blintzes individually and freeze for up to 2 weeks. To serve, Fuss (who makes as many as 100 at a time!) defrosts them on a baking sheet overnight in the refrigerator, covered with a cloth to keep them from drying out, and then reheats them in a 300°F oven until heated through, about 15 minutes. Source: The Best Northwest Places Cookbook (Volume 2), Cynthia C. Nims. Times do not include the 'resting' time for the crepe batter.
- 158.51 ml all-purpose flour
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 1 small orange (grated zest)
- 0.25 ml salt
- 3 eggs
- 354.88 ml milk
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cooking crepes
- 226.79 g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 236.59 ml cottage cheese or 236.59 ml Quark
- 78.07 ml granulated sugar
- 78.07 ml creme fraiche
- 4.92 ml grated lemon zest or 4.92 ml orange zest
- 0.25 ml salt
- 473.18 ml blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 29.58 ml water
- 7.39 ml cornstarch
- powdered sugar, for serving
- FOR THE CREPES, combine the flour, sugar, orange zest, and salt in a medium bowl and stir with a fork to blend.
- In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then stir in the milk and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until evenly mixed.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the batter rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before cooking the crepes.
- The batter can be made the night before.
- FOR THE FILLING, combine the cream cheese, cottage cheese, sugar, creme fraiche, zest, and salt in a food processor and pulse for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula and blend until smooth, about another 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- (The filling can be made a day in advance; let it come to room temperature before filling the blintzes.).
- FOR THE BLUEBERRY SAUCE, combine the blueberries and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the sugar dissolves and the blueberries give off their juice, 5 to 7 minutes, lightly crushing some of the berries against the side of the pan to make a chunky sauce.
- In a small dish, combine the water and cornstarch, stirring to mix.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the blueberries and stir well.
- Cook until the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring often; set aside in the saucepan.
- TO COOK THE CREPES, heat an 8-inch crepe or omelet pan or medium skillet over medium heat and brush with a little melted butter.
- Stir the crepe batter to remix it.
- Add a scant 1/4 cup of the batter to the hot pan and swirl gently so it thinly and evenly covers the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until the top has turned from shiny to opaque and the edges begin to curl, 1 to 2 minutes, then turn the crepe and cook a minute or so on the other side.
- Slide the crepe onto a plate and continue with the remaining batter, stacking the crepes directly on top of one another as you go.
- It's very common for the first crepe or two to be a total failure, so don't think twice about tossing out early crepes that don't work. You want a total of 12 good crêpes in the end.
- REHEAT THE BLUEBERRY SAUCE over low heat while filling the crepes.
- Lay one crepe on a flat surface and place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the middle of the crepe.
- Fold both sides inward over the filling, then fold the bottom edge upward, and finally fold the top edge down to form a squarish package.
- Flip the package over so the seams are underneath, and set it on a lightly buttered baking sheet.
- Continue with the remaining crepes and filling.
- Warm the blintzes in a 300°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- TO SERVE, SPOON SOME OF THE BLUEBERRY SAUCE onto individual warmed plates, and set 2 blintzes on top of the sauce on each plate.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over all and serve right away.