Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is delicious, very filling, and makes a wonderful meal on a cold winter day.
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup pared sliced carrot
- 1 cup pared diced potato
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (You have to use sharp cheddar...mild won't taste right)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crouton, optional
- In hot margarine in 3 qt saucepan, cook vegetables, covered and stirring occasionally, 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat must not be too high, or vegies will burn, so check often.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in flour, mix well.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add Chicken broth to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to Boiling, stirring CONSTANTLY.
- Gradually stir in cheese.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring, until cheese has melted.
- Gradually add milk.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring just to boiling, but DO NOT BOIL.
- Sprinkle with parsley, serve with croutons.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings (that's a lie, it's more like 4 servings).
- I like to serve with fresh, toasted, buttered bread.
- MMMMmmmm-- homemade bread from the grocery store deli is usually good.
What a wonderful and delicious recipe! I made as posted and it was very easy to put together. I think the serving size is a little off ~ it makes about 4 servings so if you want more, double it. This soup would also be good with some leftover ham thrown in. Thanks so much for posting a keeper!
This chowder is delicious!! My family gave it two BIG thumbs up!! I made it exactly as written. It was easy and went together quickly. The only change I would make is that next time I will double the recipe so that I can have some leftovers the next day. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. It is definitely a keeper!!