Prep 13 mins
Cook 14 mins
These are GREAT as a quick breakfast on the go, as a snack, or a side dish to just about any meal. My family can make a meal of just THESE! :D
- 1 lb extra lean ground chuck or 1 lb ground sausage, omit the spices below
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil or 1⁄8 teaspoon ground basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon finely ground celery seed
- 24 ounces finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups baking mix
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk, plus
- 3 tablespoons 2% low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown together lean ground meat and all spices until softly brown. Drain well.
- Mix baking mix, milk, and cheese until it follows the spoon around the bowl, forming a nice dough base.
- Add in warm spiced meat and mix well, but not too much. You don't want your dough to be tough.
- Using your hands, form 1 1/2" to 2" balls and place on parchment covered cookie sheet [2 wide if 2" balls, 3 wide if 1 1/2" balls are used]. You may need several sheets and 2 open layers in your oven, depending on sheet and oven sizes.
- Bake in a moderate oven 10-13 minutes, or until a nice golden brown.
- As a snack, serve with wasabe, sour cream, hot sauce, ranch dressing, cheese dip, etc.
This is the 2nd try to post a review - the first one did not show up. This was made for My-3-chefs and these are very simple to make and wonderful tasting. I used whole milk and fresh basil and liked dipping these in hot sauce. We had this as afternoon snack with a glass of riesling. Thank you Pagan for posting this yummy recipe.