Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Cheese and onion are old friends and were made to go together. This delicious savory pie is super easy to prepare with store-bought sheets of puff pastry, and is great for brunch, or for dinner with a large tossed salad. From the "Everyday Vegetarian".
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Line an oven tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and saute the onions over medium heat for 5- 7 minutes, or until golden and soft.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool for 10 minutes, before adding the cheese, parsley, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix well, then add 1 beaten egg to the bowl, with salt and pepper to your taste, and mix well again.
- Using a cake pan or dinner plate as a guide, cut each sheet of pastry into a 9 inch (23 cm) circle.
- Lay one sheet of pastry on the prepared baking tray.
- Dollop the cheese mixture over the pastry base, piling it higher in the middle, and leave a narrow border around the edge.
- Lightly brush the border with some of the second beaten egg.
- Place the remaining sheet of pastry over the filling, stretching lightly if necessary to neatly fit the bottom sheet.
- Press and seal the edges well.
- Brush the top with the remaining beaten egg, and cut two slits in the top to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, before reducing the heat to 350F (180C).
- Cook a further 20-25 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden brown.
This is such a keeper! I slow cooked the onions for about 20 min, the flavor became quite subtle, otherwise followed it exactly. Bet to let it rest a bit out of the oven as the insides are melted cheese runny. Taste is fabulous. Kept part of it for later so put it in the frig. Cut off a slice and found i excellent cold - so this cold be a marvelous appetizer for parties, but I think it's definitely special main dish. And it's so easy!
Easy, very tasty, was a hit!!! Great with a salad for lunch or a light supper. I added some real bacon bits.......great! Would make a good starter or just a snack for guests with a glass of good white wine!! Julie White
Rich, tasty and YUMMY. Love the taste of mustard and worcestershire sauce in the background. Great idea to have a salad with it.