Prep 50 mins
Cook 20 mins
In 'The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp)
- 3⁄4-2 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (plus more for glaze) or 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt (plus more for glaze)
- In a big bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in butter and cheese, using pastry blender.
- Stir in pepper; refrigerate dough for 30 minutes; meanwhile preheat oven to 400°.
- Gently stir buttermilk into chilled dough; gather the mixture into a ball with your hands, and on a well-floured surface, roll or pat the dough into a 12 x 8 inch rectangle, approximately 3/4 inch thick.
- Grease a baking sheet; using a large spatula, or a couple of spatulas, transfer the dough to the baking sheet.
- Use a dough scraper, baker's bench knife, or a knife to cut dough into 1 1/2 inch squares.
- Separate the squares slightly on the baking sheet.
- Brush each square with a little buttermilk.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they are very lightly browned.
First review that has gone thru since Zaar switched to Food.com, hope it gets thru. LOL These were very tasty, I cut the recipe in half, but am now thinking that maybe they would freeze ok? I did add a bit of garlic powder as well. We gobbled these right up! Thanks for posting rather.