1 hr 10 mins
In 'The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp)
- 3/4-2 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (plus more for glaze) or 3/4 cup plain yogurt (plus more for glaze)
- 1In a big bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- 2Cut in butter and cheese, using pastry blender.
- 3Stir in pepper; refrigerate dough for 30 minutes; meanwhile preheat oven to 400°.
- 4Gently stir buttermilk into chilled dough; gather the mixture into a ball with your hands, and on a well-floured surface, roll or pat the dough into a 12 x 8 inch rectangle, approximately 3/4 inch thick.
- 5Grease a baking sheet; using a large spatula, or a couple of spatulas, transfer the dough to the baking sheet.
- 6Use a dough scraper, baker's bench knife, or a knife to cut dough into 1 1/2 inch squares.
- 7Separate the squares slightly on the baking sheet.
- 8Brush each square with a little buttermilk.
- 9Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they are very lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheddar and Black Pepper Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (837 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.9
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 14.8 mg
- Sodium 267.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 2.9 g