Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 50 mins
Cook 20 mins
In 'The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion
Make and share this Cheddar and Black Pepper Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp)
- 3⁄4-2 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (plus more for glaze) or 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt (plus more for glaze)
- In a big bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in butter and cheese, using pastry blender.
- Stir in pepper; refrigerate dough for 30 minutes; meanwhile preheat oven to 400°.
- Gently stir buttermilk into chilled dough; gather the mixture into a ball with your hands, and on a well-floured surface, roll or pat the dough into a 12 x 8 inch rectangle, approximately 3/4 inch thick.
- Grease a baking sheet; using a large spatula, or a couple of spatulas, transfer the dough to the baking sheet.
- Use a dough scraper, baker's bench knife, or a knife to cut dough into 1 1/2 inch squares.
- Separate the squares slightly on the baking sheet.
- Brush each square with a little buttermilk.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they are very lightly browned.
First review that has gone thru since Zaar switched to Food.com, hope it gets thru. LOL These were very tasty, I cut the recipe in half, but am now thinking that maybe they would freeze ok? I did add a bit of garlic powder as well. We gobbled these right up! Thanks for posting rather.