Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe for canned green beans tastes as close to fresh beans that have cooked all day, that you can get from a can. I use organic green beans which I think make this dish even better. I prefer fresh to canned any day. But when you are in a hurry and don't have hours to snap and cook beans this recipe is a great alternative
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans cut green beans (organic tastes best)
- 1⁄2 medium vidalia onion (diced)
- 1 slice thick cut bacon (butcher style-extra thick-diced)
- 8 ounces chicken broth (organic)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (coarsely ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- Dice bacon. Fry to just crisp (not extra crispy).
- Drain approximately half the liquid out of each can of green beans. Add green beans and their liquid along with the diced onions to sauce pan. Pour bacon and all drippings into sauce pan. Add chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then turn to medium, cover and cook for 45 minutes - 1 hour.