Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This chicken is very special to my family and me. It is the first chicken I ever made all by my own. My cousin who had flown in from Qatar said it was "DELICIOUS!". That was sure something moreso for the very first attempt at making chicken independently:). My brother who is crazy for chicken and very selective about his food, praised this chicken and gave me a pat on my butt, say
- 8 chicken thighs, washed and cleaned
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 5 apricots, dried and halved
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons raisins (or more)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the onions in oil until golden brown.
- Add cardamoms, cloves and bay leaves and continue to fry.
- Add chicken pieces and brown on all sides.
- Add tomatoes and continue to cook on medium-high flame.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, corriander powder, salt and black pepper.
- Mix really well, turning the chicken sides.
- Add raisins and apricots.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, mixing the raisins and apricots with the chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Add water.
- Simmer gently, covered, until chicken is very tender and sauce reduced.
- Serve hot with cooked white rice or roti.