This recipe is from the Nestle Very Best Baking. Champurrado is a tradition in my part of the world on Christmas morning with tamales and sweet bread.
- In a large saucepan, combine 8 cups of the water and cinnamon; bring to a boil.
- Place the remaining water and masa harina in a blender; cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into the cinnamon-water mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly with wire whisk for 6 to 7 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in sugar, chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted and flavors well blended.