Recipe by PaulaG
This recipe is from the Nestle Very Best Baking. Champurrado is a tradition in my part of the world on Christmas morning with tamales and sweet bread.
Top Review by Lissa L.
ground up 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oatmeal in a coffee grinder, nuke up the oat powder with a cup of water in microwave, mix it with cocoa and sugar OR sweet chai tea powder, stir in extra 6 oz water, nuke one minute, tada! It works for me too
- 12 cups water, divided
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1⁄2 cups masa harina flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed or 2 (6 ounce) piloncillo cones
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine 8 cups of the water and cinnamon; bring to a boil.
- Place the remaining water and masa harina in a blender; cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into the cinnamon-water mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly with wire whisk for 6 to 7 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in sugar, chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted and flavors well blended.