New Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 6 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- whipped cream (for topping; optional)
- 6 cinnamon sticks (optional)
- Whisk together sugar, cocoa, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add milk and cook, stirring, until hot.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Pour chocolate into serving cups and top with whipped cream (if desired).
- Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and nutmeg and serve with a cinnamon stick (for stirring).
Join The Conversation
Yummy! This was excellent. As suggested, we topped with whipped cream and served it with biscochitos (recipe #25697). The only (unintentional) change I made was I only added 5 cups of milk, because the saucepan I was using was too small. So it was maybe a little richer, but everyone liked it that way. Wonderful recipe, I will surely make this again, thank you Sue!
This hot chocolate was a big hit at my house! Because I was making it for children, I used half the spices, but it still turned out wonderful. We served it with whipped cream. My teenage daughter said it was one of her all-time favorite cups of hot chocolate. Thanks for an easy and popular hot chocolate recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
You know me as Sue L or Sue Lau. I write a food blog at palatablepastime.com which specializes in Midwestern, Amish, Southern, and Ethnic recipes. Most of which are my own recipes. There are a few there that aren't, but not many. And really, since the best of my recipes here are my recipes, it tells me you guys like me just a teensy bit. ;) I post all my latest stuff on my blog including new recipes, updates to older recipes and (hopefully) much better photos. So don't be shy in dropping by. If you like my stuff here you will LOVE my stuff there. Seriously.