Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A prize winning recipe from Carolyn Blakemore via the Official Chili Cookbook.
Make and share this Championship Hillbilly Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (1 lb) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) canspanish tomato sauce (regular tomato sauce is fine if you can't find the Spanish kind)
- 1 (8 ounce) canregular tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) canOld El Paso® tomatoes and green chilies (an extra can may be used, depending on your own taste)
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 3 cups water
- Brown the meat with the vegetables in a heavy frying pan; drain off the fat.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a large stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Add the browned meat and cook until thick.