Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
You can use 8 cups of torn swiss chard leaves instead of the spinach. Serve with crusty bread.
- 3 carrots
- 3 leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 1 slice thick ham
- 2 lbs small red potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups wide egg noodles
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach
- 1 cup finely shredded gruyere or 1 cup extra old cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Cut carrots into 1 1/2 inch lengths.
- Cut leeks lengthwise almost but not all the way to root end; spreading leaves, flush out grit under water.
- Cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch lengths.
- Cut ham into 3/4 inch chunks.
- Halve or quarter potatoes; set aside.
- In large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat; saute carrots, leeks, ham and onion until leeks and onion are softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes, 4 cups water and salt; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are just tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add milk; bring to simmer, Stir in noodles and spinach; simmer, uncovered, until noodles are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and pepper.