Recipe by Shahana
Another recipe from our church cookbook. Can be partially made and then held up to 24 hours if desired. Cooking time is combined time but does not include any time you are holding in fridge.
- 1 large cauliflower, cut in large florets
- 4 cups fresh Brussels sprouts, halved
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook cauliflower in boiling water until crisp tender (about 5 min.).
- Remove with slotted spoon and chill under cold water; drain well.
- Cook Brussels sprouts in same water until crisp tender (about 7 minutes).
- Drain and chill under cold water; drain well.
- Dry any excess water from vegetables with a towel.
- *** Can be held for up to 24 hours if desired ***.
- Melt margarine; whisk in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cook, stirring for 1 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk, stirring until thickened, about 5 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir n cheese.
- *** This also can be held for up to 24 hours if well covered, (heat before using) ***.
- Spread vegetables in well greased 9 X 13 inch pan.
- Pour sauce over top and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- *** Can be covered and kept up to 8 hours in fridge ***.
- Bake at 400°F until bubbly, about 25 minutes.
- Broil until crumbs are golden.