1/3 Photos of Cauliflower and Carrot Gratin
Jan in Lanark's Note:
An old standby for me. I like the fact that it can be made earlier in the day and finished off before dinner. Once again, based on an old Canadian Living recipe. Vary the vegetables if you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cauliflower (2 lb.)
- 3 large carrots (1/2 lb.)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1Divide cauliflower into florets.
- 2Cut carrots diagonally into 1/4 inch slices.
- 3In saucepan of boiling salted water, cook cauliflower until tender crisp, about 8 minutes; remove with slotted spoon and drain in colander.
- 4Cook carrots in same water until tender crisp, about 8 minutes; remove with slotted spoon and add to cauliflower.
- 5Measure and remove 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- 6For the sauce, in a heavy pan melt butter, stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes without browning.
- 7Whisk in reserved cooking liquid and milk; cook, again stirring constantly, until sauce is smooth and thick.
- 8Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 9Blend in cheese.
- 10Place vegetables in a greased 8 cup gratin dish, keeping all vegetables at about the same level and spoon sauce over top.
- 11Recipe can be prepared ahead to this point; bring to room temp before baking.
- 12For the gratin, combine cheese, breadcrumbs and butter and sprinkle over casserole.
- 13Bake in 375 oven for 15 minutes if ingredients are warm, 20-25 minutes if at room temperature.
- 14Broil for 2-3 minutes to crisp and brown topping and serve immediately.
- 15You can substitute any combination of vegetables such as broccoli, brussels sprouts, parsnips, celery, onions, potatoes or rutabaga as long as the total is about 2 1/2 lbs.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cauliflower and Carrot Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.6
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 67.5 mg
- Sodium 597.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 10.9 g