African-Spiced Cauliflower and Carrot Salad
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 2 cups cauliflower, small florets
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diagonally sliced (1/4-inch)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey or 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Steam first 2 ingredients, covered, 2 minutes. Rinse mixture under cold water; drain well.
- Combine salt and next 5 ingredients (salt through crushed red pepper) in a small skillet; cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until lightly aromatic, stirring constantly.
- Add vinegar while of the heat.
- Combine spice mixture, sour cream, and honey in a bowl; stir well.
- Add cauliflower mixture; toss well to coat.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Top with green onions just before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Another great recipe I'm making for Christmas dinner! Love the flavor of the red pepper, cumin and then a hint of sweetness from the honey. I doubled everything but the sour cream as I did not want to much sauce on the veggies. I also used baby carrots sliced on the diagonal. I thought with the small cauliflower florets in this recipe needed baby carrots (elements of design) to go along with them. You know how big around some of the long carrots can get! Thanks Rita, love this one!!
What a different take on cauliflower salad! So spicy and yummy! Mmm, I enjoyed every bite of this recipe. All the spices and the honey made for such a yummy marinade, that I just couldnt stop eating this salad. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this deliciously different recipe here with us, ~Rita~! Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #19
Wow, I really loved the creamy spicy dressing on these vegetables! I scraped the bowl clean with a spoon and tried it on its own - perfect. I blanched the veggies together for about 3 minutes and didn't make any changes except I used 2% Greek yogurt for the low-fat sour cream and Splenda for the sugar. I'd make this dressing for pita sandwiches too! It was sooo good!
see 6 more reviews