Carrot Potato and Onion Gratin
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus additional for buttering
- 2 large russet potatoes, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut on the diagonal into long thin slices
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup well-flavored chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Generously butter a medium-size gratin dish.
- Make a layer of one-third of the potato slices in the bottom of the prepared gratin dish.
- Add a layer of half the onions and then half the carrots.
- Dot with 2 tablespoons of the butter and season well with salt and pepper.
- Repeat the layers and finish with the remaining one-third of the potato slices. Dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and season with salt and pepper. Pour in the stock.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes longer, until the cheese is golden brown. Serve very hot.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this using a mandolin on thinnest slice, according to the recipe only substituting chicken broth. I felt it could use more seasoning. I thought I used plenty of salt, maybe not enough pepper. Perhaps thyme would be good. It wasn't nearly done in 55 minutes. Next time I will cook for an hour before removing the foil and adding the cheese.