Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Having guests overnight? Want a fabulous breakfast but don't want a lot of work in the morning. Make this casserole the night before, bake in the morning and serve with fresh fruit and impress your guests.
- 12 slices sandwich bread
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lb turkey (or your choice of bacon, ham, shrimp, chicken, turkey)
- 3 tablespoons red peppers
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons mushrooms, I like fresh portabello
- 5 eggs
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup skim milk
seasoning to taste
- seasoning salt
- onion powder, are a few ideas
- Butter/spray a 9x13 pan.
- Chop pepper, onion and garlic. Saute pepper, onion and garlic until onion are translucent and all are tender. Chop mushroom and add; saute for another minute or so. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While the above is cooking, prepare the layers of the casserole:.
- Trim the crust off 12 slices of sandwich bread.
- Butter one side of 6 slices of bread and put buttered side down to line the pan.
- Place 6 slices of cheddar cheese on top of the bread to create a second layer.
- Pre-cook meat until just barely cooked. Cool slightly, chop and arrange meat over the cheddar cheese for the third layer. Meat type is your personal preference and .5 to 1 lb can be used, again based on your preference.
- (If you like you can add half of the pepper/onion saute mixture or save all for the egg mixture. I personally like adding half of the mixture here.).
- Butter one side of the remaining 6 slices of bread and place buttered-side up as the final layer. Any cheese pieces or bread crumbs can be added on top if you want.
- Egg mixture:.
- Beat 5 eggs.
- Add 1 can cream of mushroom soup.
- Add 1 cup milk.
- Add onion/pepper mixture and any seasonings you like, similar to making scrambled eggs.
- Beat mixture completely. Pour evenly over layers. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- AM - Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake casserole for 1 1/2 to 2 hours uncovered. Let sit for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Serving can be 6 (large portions) or 12 (smaller portions). 12 works well if serving fruit and other breakfast items.