Recipe by Annette 1
This is a very good recipe that my mother used to make for our family. It tastes great, and is a nice alternative to your typical vegetable beef soup. A homemade bread would be a great accompaniment to this soup.
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 3 quarts water
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ground round and ground turkey by hand in a large bowl. Shape into small 1/2 inch meatballs.
- In a 5-1/2 quart pot, add the water and boil the meatballs approximately 10 minutes, or until they are browned.
- Skim off the fat with a slotted spoon and discard the fat.
- Add the undrained tomatoes, celery, and onion, simmer uncovered for 1/2 hour.
- Add the carrots and the bullion cubes and simmer an additional 1/2 hour.
- Depending on how much water boils out, you may need to add a little water to adjust the amount of broth.
- Add the potatoes, Mrs. Dash, and pepper, and simmer an additional 20 minutes.