Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 19 mins
This is a very good recipe that my mother used to make for our family. It tastes great, and is a nice alternative to your typical vegetable beef soup. A homemade bread would be a great accompaniment to this soup.
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 3 quarts water
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, to taste
- Mix ground round and ground turkey by hand in a large bowl. Shape into small 1/2 inch meatballs.
- In a 5-1/2 quart pot, add the water and boil the meatballs approximately 10 minutes, or until they are browned.
- Skim off the fat with a slotted spoon and discard the fat.
- Add the undrained tomatoes, celery, and onion, simmer uncovered for 1/2 hour.
- Add the carrots and the bullion cubes and simmer an additional 1/2 hour.
- Depending on how much water boils out, you may need to add a little water to adjust the amount of broth.
- Add the potatoes, Mrs. Dash, and pepper, and simmer an additional 20 minutes.
This soup is delicious and so easy to make, it has become one of our favorites. This is especially good with a slice of homemade bread.